The late strongman had been recorded by two Americans while discussing plans to invade the Philippines.

Claim: President Corazon Aquino refused to let her ousted predecessor, Ferdinand Marcos, return to the Philippines to bury his dead mother in 1988 over fears he would be returned to power

Rating: Missing Context


 

Facebook page “BBM SARA Tv’s” Aug. 15 video failed to provide important context on why President Corazon Aquino refused to let her ousted predecessor, Ferdinand Marcos, return to the Philippines to bury his dead mother in 1988.

The page claimed that Aquino made it out of selfishness, over supposed fears Marcos would be returned to power.

It said: “Napaka walang hiya pala talaga ang ginawa sa dating Pres. Ferdinand E. Marcos hindi man lng pinayagang makauwi ng pilipinas  para masilip ang namatay nyang ina at maihatid sa huling hantungan..sa takot lamang na baka muling iupo ng mga tao sa pag ka pangulo si FEM..makasarili talaga…gaano kasakit ito..”

The video, which has garnered 39,000 views, claimed Marcos never intended to grab power back from Aquino.

Aquino actually explained her decision in a televised address in May 1988, citing the national welfare and the need for stability.

She also said her decision was made in consultation with national leaders.

“After careful assessment in consultation with the leadership of both chambers of Congress and the Cabinet committee, I regret that considerations of national welfare, which are above the individual interest, forbid us from allowing the former president to return,” she said.

Aquino had reason to suspect Marcos: the late strongman had been recorded by two Americans while discussing plans to invade the Philippines and retake power.

The Americans, Robert Chastain and Richard Hirschfeld, even testified before a committee of the US House of Representatives.

“[I]t was wrong to allow President Marcos to proceed on his path to armed invasion as if no one knew what he intended to do,” Chastain was quoted as saying by the Associated Press.

 

PressOne.PH is part of #FactsFirstPH which brings together various sectors that are committed to promoting truth in the public space, and exacting accountability on those who harm it with lies. For those interested to join the initiative, email info@factsfirst.ph

PressOne.PH has adopted Facebook’s ratings options for third-party fact checkers and is working toward accreditation with the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN).

See our fact-checking policy here.

FACT-CHECK: US has no military bases in the Philippines

FACT-CHECK: US has no military bases in the Philippines

An X user makes the false claim that the United States has five military bases in the Philippines.CLAIM:  The United States has five military bases in the Philippines. RATING: FALSE   An X user made the false claim that the United States has five military bases...

read more