The city government of Manila has deployed more traffic enforcers to the streets following the suspension of the No Contact Apprehension Policy (NCAP).
In a statement on Wednesday, Manila Mayor Honey Lacuña said her city would adhere to the Supreme Court’s temporary restraining order that stopped the implementation of the NCAP.
“Bagamat naniniwala tayo na maraming magandang nadulot ang NCAP sa daloy ng trapiko at pagsasa ayos ng disiplina sa ating lungsod, ang pamahalaang lungsod ay susunod sa alituntunin ng Korte Suprema at handa sa pagpapahinto ng NCAP sa Maynila,” she said.
The mayor said the NCAP had been “very effective” in lowering the number of traffic violations and maintaining discipline among motorists.
Citing Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) data, Lacuña said the number of fatal and non-fatal injuries caused by traffic accidents in Manila went down by 47 percent in 2021 after the NCAP was implemented.
Manila Police District data also showed a 62-percent decrease in the number of recorded road accidents since the program’s implementation, Lacuña said.
Finally, she said the number of recorded traffic violations dropped by 90 percent based on the daily average recorded per traffic camera in the city.
“The abundance of data shows that the NCAP is quite effective in keeping city traffic smooth and efficient, while also protecting the safety of pedestrians and motorists. Nevertheless, we are prepared to comply with the Supreme Court’s TRO while also taking measures to benefit all stakeholders even while NCAP is suspended,” the mayor said.
On Aug. 30, the SC ruled the stoppage of the NCAP’s implementation, setting oral arguments for the case on Jan. 24, 2023. John Ezekiel J. Hirro