A magnitude 6.4 earthquake shook Abra Tuesday evening, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
The quake was initially declared a magnitude 6.7, but the Phivolcs downgraded the magnitude to a 6.4 in a 12:40am advisory on Wednesday.
The epicenter of the quake was found at 33 km northwest of Lagayan, Abra. The quake struck at 10:59pm and was tectonic in origin with a depth of 11 km.
A magnitude 3.1 aftershock hit Lagayan town at 11:12 p.m., Phivolcs added.
The following intensity levels were recorded in the following areas:
- Intensity VI – La Paz, Abra
- Intensity V – Bangued, Boliney, Bucay, Bucloc, Daguioman, Danglas, Dolores, Lacub, Lagangilang, Lagayan, Langiden, Licuan-Baay, Luba, Malibcong, Manabo, Peñarrubia, Pidigan, Pilar, Sallapadan, San Isidro, San Juan, San Quintin, Tayum, Tineg, Tubo, and Villaviciosa, Abra; Conner, Apayao; La Trinidad, Benguet; Rizal, Kalinga; Alilem, Banayoyo, Bantay, Burgos, Cabugao, City of Candon, Cervantes, Galimuyod, Gregorio del Pilar, Lidlidda, Magsingal, Nagbukel, Narvacan, Quirino, Salcedo, San Emilio, San Esteban, San Ildefonso, San Juan, San Vicente, Santa, Santa Catalina, Santa Cruz, Santa Lucia, Santa Maria, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Sigay, Sinait, Sugpon, Suyo, Tagudin, and City of Vigan, Ilocos Sur; Bacnotan, Balaoan, Bauang, and Caba, La Union; Abulug, Allacapan, Amulung, Aparri, Baggao, Claveria, Lal-Lo, Lasam, Peñablanca, Tuao, and Tuguegarao City, Cagayan
- Intensity IV – Flora, Apayao; Baguio City; Bokod and Itogon, Benguet; City of San Fernando, and Sudipen, La Union; Enrile, Iguig, and Solana, Cagayan
- Intensity III – Laoac, City of Urdaneta, and Villasis, Pangasinan; City of Dagupan; Baler, Aurora
- Intensity II – Labrador, Pangasinan; San Manuel, Isabela
Meanwhile, the following instrumental intensities were also experienced in the following areas:
- Intensity V – Gonzaga, Penablanca, Claveria, Cagayan; Pasuquin, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte; Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
- Intensity IV – Bangued, Abra
- Intensity III – Baler, Aurora; Ilagan, Isabela
- Intensity II – Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya; Urdaneta, Dagupan City, Pangasinan; Madella, Quirino
- Intensity I – Dinalupihan, Bataan; Bulakan, Calumpit, Malolos City, Plaridel, Bulacan; Pasig City, Navotas City; Cabanatuan City and San Jose, Nueva Ecija; Guagua, Pampanga; Umingan, Sison, Bolinao, Infanta, and Bani, Pangasinan; Polillo, Mauban, and Infanta, Quezon; Tanay and Taytay, Rizal; Ramos, Tarlac; Iba, Zambales
Phivolcs warned that aftershocks are to be expected.
— Ronald Espartinez