An aerial photo of the early morning fire engulfing Purok Islam, Barangay Dadiangas South. (Photo courtesy of Barp Canizares)

General Santos City – A five-year old girl lost her life when a fire hit her home and her neighborhood at Purok Islam, Barangay Dadiangas South at around 5 a.m. yesterday.

Bainor Putian was trapped in her house and died in the fire. She was buried immediately according to the Islamic tradition since she was a Muslim.

According to Dr. Bong Dacera, CDRRMO action officer, the girl was trapped in her blazing house. Dacera said the girl was left at home alone as her parents were working as vendors in the market.

Barangay Dadiangas South Chairman Rock Garay said about 123 families have been affected by this incident.

The Bureau of Fire Protection estimates the cost of the damages initially at about P600,000.

City Fire Marshal FCI Reginald Legaste said that an illegal electric connection that overloaded was the probable cause of the fire.

Garay said the baranggay will declare a state of calamity so that calamity fund which is around P200,000 will be utilized as financial assistance for the affected families. (Amiel Cagayan)