Education Secretary Leonor Briones on Wednesday said 4,295 schools have resumed face-to-face (F2F) classes as of March 1, the first day of Alert Level 1 in 39 areas.
The Department of Education (DepEd) has been pushing for the expansion of F2F classes in the country amid declining cases and risk levels.
“We are anticipating na lalong dadami ang mga schools na sasali dahil pagpasok ng [Metro Manila], malaking bulto ng mga eskuwelahan iyan at saka mga other places na halos lahat ngayon ay nasa [Alert] Levels 1 and 2 na,” Briones said in a “Laging Handa” briefing.
“Mukhang wala kaming nakikita na reason na hindi i-implement,” she added.
The expansion phase of the F2F classes was previously hampered by the Omicron surge.
“Iyong actual format na pag-implement ng F2F, depende sa sitwasyon ng respective schools. Doon papasok ang mga desisyon ng ating regional directors, ang ating superintendents at depende sa sitwasyon, dahil mayroong hindi maka-fulfill sa […] mga conditions or requirements,” she said.
Despite the lowering number of Covid-19 cases in the country, Briones said there were still parents who were hesitant to send their kids to school.
“Pero ito ay pakaunti nang pakaunti dahil marami na talagang gustong-gusto na ang ating blended learning, may papel talaga ang F2F,” she added.
Aside from the 4,295 schools that have started in-person classes, 6,213 schools are also deemed ready to implement F2F classes. John Ezekiel J. Hirro