Malacañang on Monday said the Philippines’ procurement of 25 million Sinovac vaccine doses was already finalized, refuting earlier statements of other government officials.
In a Senate inquiry briefing last week, Finance Undersecretary Mark Joven said that the term sheet for vaccines between the government and Sinovac did not mean the country would for sure acquire the vaccines. Vaccine czar Carlito Galvez also said the deal had yet to be done.
But in a virtual presser, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said the two officials’ statements were wrong.
“Mali po iyan. Lilinawin po natin kung bakit. Kapag mayroon na pong tinatawag na meeting of the mind pagdating doon sa consent, object and consideration, ito po ay sang-ayon sa ating New Civil Code ay mayroon na po tayong obligasyon,” he said.
The “binding obligation” between the two parties is subject to a suspensive condition, Roque said. According to the New Civil Code, “When the fulfillment of the condition results in the acquisition of rights arising out of obligation, it is considered suspensive.”
“Kontrata na po iyan. Kaya nga lang po, iyong pangalawang obligasyon, at ito po iyong talagang pagbibili, ay naka-subject po sa kundisyon na pinag-agree-han ng mga partido,” Roque added, noting that only the approval of the Food and Drug Administration was needed.
Sinovac vaccine’s first 50,000 doses for the Philippines will arrive in February.
In an interview over Unang Hirit, Roque said the government would only disclose the prices of Sinovac vaccines once a supply agreement was reached, but hinted that a dose costs “more or less P650 to P675.”
The 25 million doses would be delivered to the country monthly until December this year. John Ezekiel J. Hirro