The Philippines confirmed two more cases of monkeypox, pushing the total number to three, the Department of Health (DOH) said. 

DOH officer-in-charge Maria Rosario Vergeire said during a press briefing that the two new cases are aged 34 and 29. Both of them had recently visited another country with confirmed monkeypox infections. 

However, Vergeire did not give further information about the patients. 

The 34-year-old patient’s positive PCR result was released on August 18.  The patient is now under isolation with contact tracing now in place.  On the other hand, the 29-year-old patient’s result was released on August 19.  The DOH said the patient is in a healthcare facility.

“To date, 17 close contacts of the third case have been identified. Their details are being verified,” the DOH said in a separate statement. 

The first monkeypox case was already discharged from isolation on August 6.

Vergeire said that all 10 close contacts of the first patient had already finished quarantine. 

The DOH said that the two new cases are not related to each other, or to the first case.  — Ronald Espartinez