The Philippines will close its borders to travelers from Oman and United Arab Emirates over the India Covid-19 variant, Malacañang has said.

In a statement, Palace spokesman Harry Roque said the ban would start at midnight on May 15 and last until May 31.

Roque said passengers in transit and those who had been to the two countries and arriving before May 15 would not be subjected to travel restrictions.

However, they will be required to undergo a facility-based 14-day quarantine even if they obtained a negative RT-PCR test result.

The India variant was first detected in the Philippines on March 12. Two individuals from Oman and UAE had it, but they have since tested negative for the disease.

Roque also announced that travel restrictions on India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka were extended until May 31. John Ezekiel J. Hirro