Malacañang on Monday said the country could start vaccinating “influencers” against Covid-19 once the country secures more vaccine doses to allay the public’s vaccine fears.

The Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on Emerging Infectious Diseases earlier proposed to vaccinate 50 influencers with Sinovac vaccines but was nixed by the National Immunization Technical Advisory Group.

“Siguro kasi 600,000 pa lang ang dumarating eh hindi pa po pinayagan. Pero tingnan po natin baka naman kapag dumating na ang mas maraming supply e baka matuloy pa rin po iyong ating proposal,” he said in a Radio Mindanao Network interview.

Roque said the IATF had yet to determine the influencers that would be given priority access to Covid-19 vaccines.

“Hindi naman po malinaw kung sino iyon ‘no pero humingi po sana kami ng singkuwenta, hindi pa naman alam kung sino iyon. Para lang iyong mga personalidad na sa tingin namin kapag nabakunahan ay makakatulong sa pagtaas ng kumpiyansa,” he added.

In an interview over ANC, vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said the vaccination drive would reach the general public by late-April or early-May.

The national government’s vaccine priority list prioritizes frontline health workers, teachers, social workers and other government workers, essential workers outside health, education, social welfare (working in agriculture, food, tourism sectors), socio-demographic groups, overseas Filipino workers and uniformed personnel and their families.

The country so far has only received 600,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines, from Chinese-firm Sinovac, for the legal rollout of its nationwide inoculation drive. John Ezekiel J. Hirro