Malacañang on Monday said it was unnecessary to point fingers and determine the cause of the ongoing surge in Covid-19 cases because the government had already “learned” its lesson.

“Huwag na po tayong magsisihan,” Palace spokesman Harry Roque said in a virtual presser after he was asked about the government’s lapses in dealing with the pandemic.

Instead, Roque touted the StaySafe contact tracing application, now ”fully operational” after a year of underutilization.

The surge, he said, was a lesson on complacency.

“Natuto na po tayo at ngayon po talaga ang leksyon po sa lahat, hindi po ibig sabihin na palibhasa napababa na natin ay tayo po ay we will relax our caution.”

“Kinakailangan po talaga bagamat nakakapagod talaga iyan, naiintindihan ko naman eh, we are always on our best behavior at palagi po tayong mask, hugas, iwas at bakuna.”

More than 8,000 new Covid-19 infections—a record high—were recorded in the Philippines on Monday, which brought the nationwide tally to 671,792.

‘Vaccine confidence’

Because of the arrival of vaccines in the country, Roque said Filipinos had developed “vaccine confidence.”

“Sinabi nga po ng ilang mga personalidad na, nagkaroon po kasi talaga tayo ng vaccine confidence. Kumbaga after one year na pagod na pagod na tayo, e umasa tayo dahil nandiyan ang bakuna, e parang pupuwede ng huwag masyadong maghigpit.”

“Pero ang natutunan na po natin ng leksiyon, kinakailangan talaga we must be on the guard all the time against Covid-19. At although hindi rin natin completely sinisisi ang ating mga kababayan dahil naiintindihan natin na iyong pagkalat ay dahil din sa pagpasok noong mga new variants.”

The country has so far received 1.125 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines from Sinovac and AstraZeneca. John Ezekiel J. Hirro