Malacañang on Thursday said the country could not impose prolonged lockdowns in Covid-19 hotspots as the government was aiming for “total health.”

Palace spokesman thumbed down the idea in a virtual presser, saying it would lead to more hunger among Filipinos.

“Parang hindi po doable iyan,” Roque said of the idea. “Nakikita naman natin na ayaw nating lalo pang dumami ang hanay ng mga nagugutom. We are aiming for total health. Bawasan ang pagkalat ng kaso at bawasan ang hanay ng mga nagugutom.”

The idea was proposed by the Octa Research Group, saying a three-week hard lockdown in Covid-19 hotspots could prevent infection surges.

Roque said that while intensive care unit beds in Metro Manila had already reached critical capacity, the region was close to achieving population protection.

“Dahil nga po sa Metro Manila ay malaki-laki na po, halos kalahati na po ang nababakunahan, maski dumami pa ang numero ay parang sipon na lang po,” he said.

The country recorded 16,621 Covid-19 cases on Sept. 2. The Philippines now has 2,020,484 cases. John Ezekiel J. Hirro