President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, his spokesman said on Friday, correcting an earlier announcement by the head of the Presidential Security Group (PSG).

Palace spokesman Harry Roque made the correction after PSG chief Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III said in an interview with state-run PTV-4 that Duterte had already been given his second vaccine dose.

“Gen. Durante was mistakenly informed by his medical staff that a second dose was already administered to the President. Further, Gen. Durante has admitted, apologized and rectified his earlier remarks,” Roque said.

Duterte received his first Covid-19 vaccine dose on May 3. He was inoculated with the Chinese-made vaccine Sinopharm, which was then unregistered in the Philippines.

Roque, last June 8, said that Duterte was waiting for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to issue an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Sinopharm vaccine before receiving his second shot.

The FDA gave Sinopharm an EUA on June 7, a day before Roque made the statement.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a three-to-four-week interval in administering two Sinopharm doses.

It’s been 53 days or more than seven weeks since Duterte received his first dose. John Ezekiel J. Hirro