Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday said he saw no reason to suspend classes in Metro Manila amid fears of the spread of the novel coronavirus (nCoV) from China, after some Chinese schools ordered pupils to stay home.

“So far as the DOH (Department of Health) is concerned, we are not aware of the reasons why they decided to suspend classes. There is really no need as of now, there is no indication,” Duque told reporters in a Malacañang news briefing.

Eleven foreigners are being monitored in connection with the 2019-nCoV that originated from Wuhan, China. Fifty-six people have died. Apart from China, 10 countries have reported cases of nCoV infection.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones said private schools had the discretion to suspend classes, but reminded school administrators to meet the required number of school days.

The Manila city health officer, Dr. Arnold Pangan, urged citizens not to spread false information, clarifying that as of Monday, there was no case of 2019-nCoV infection in the nation’s capital.

(PressONE.ph)