President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday said he would never apologize for the fatalities of his brutal war on drugs until his last breath.

In a “Talk to the People” address, Duterte insisted on the fruits of his drug war and ranted against critics of his administration’s centerpiece program.

“I will never, never apologize for the death of those bastards. Patayin mo ako, kulungin mo ako, p****g ina…I will never apologize,” Duterte said.

The president asserted that his drug war was part of his promise to uphold law and order in the country, despite complaints by human rights groups about its unconstitutionality.

“Tapos ‘yung human rights kasi daw brutal. Anong brutal? What about their brutality to the children of this country? […] You destroy my country, you bring disorder and you destroy the lives of our children, I will kill you. I admit that sinabi ko ‘yan,” Duterte said.

The Commission on Human Rights, in its report on drug-related extrajudicial killings in the country released in November 2020, found that only 2.36 percent or 11 of 466 drug personalities who initiated aggression or resisted arrest during police anti-drug operations survived.

According to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, in 200,632 anti-drug operations conducted from July 2016 to April 2020, 6,117 individuals were killed.

Duterte’s drug war, according to some human rights groups, has killed thousands more than the official numbers, including mere bystanders.

The drug war had been under probe by the International Criminal Court, but it was suspended upon request of the Philippine government.

Duterte’s administration has remained firm in refusing to participate in the probe. John Ezekiel J. Hirro