President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday night made his first public declaration of his vice presidential bid in the 2022 national elections.

In a televised address, Duterte said he would run for vice president to ensure continuity of his government’s projects.

“Gusto talaga ninyo? O, sige, tatakbo ako ng bise presidente,” Duterte said.

“Then I will continue the crusade. I’m worried about…number one is insurgency, then criminality, drugs,” he added.

The PDP-Laban faction headed by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi announced earlier on Tuesday Duterte’s decision to accept its nomination for the 2022 elections.

Only Duterte’s vice-presidential bid and the senatorial bids of Rodante Marcoleta, Gregorio Honasan, Salvador Panelo, Arthur Tugade and Mark Villar have so far been announced by the ruling party.

Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, son of PDP-Laban founder Aquilino Pimentel Jr., wished Duterte luck but said the process of picking a vice-presidential bet before having a pick for president was “unusual, circuitous [and] convoluted.”

Pimentel is supportive of the other PDP-Laban faction that Sen. Manny Pacquiao heads.

Duterte, who is the Philippines’ oldest president in history, turned 76 this year. Should he win the vice presidency next year, he would also become the oldest vice president in the history of the country.

PDP-Laban will have unveil its standard bearer in a national convention on Sept. 8. John Ezekiel J. Hirro