DOH Calabarzon Regional Director Eduardo Janairo administers an anti measles vaccine on a young child. (PNA photo)

Although Calabarzon had the highest increase in measles cases at the start of 2019, the number of incidents continue to decrease since July.

DOH Calabarzon Regional Director Eduardo Janairo said that “from January 1 to August 23, 2019, there were 8,788 cases with 167 deaths.”

He bared that versus the same period in 2018, the region recorded 1,054 cases with 16 deaths.

“But when we launched our school-based vaccination campaign, we have been receiving weekly reports of zero measles cases already, and in fact, from August 20 to 23, we received a zero-case report of the disease from the field,” Janairo said.

The World Health Organization (WHO), via its August Measles-Rubella Update reported that the country is the third highest ranking in number of measles cases from July 2018 to June 2019 at 45,847 cases.

The DOH Epidemiology Bureau identified Calabarzon as having the highest measles incidence as of July 13 with 7,213 cases compared to 632 cases in the same period of 2018.

Measles death is also highest at 123 from a very low of six last year.

Janairo stressed, “Gaya ng nasabi dati, ang malaking factor sa pagtaas ng measles cases ay Dengvaxia scare, nawalan ng tiwala sa immunization programng gobyerno ang mga tao.

He then added, “Pangalawa ay ang kakulangan ng oras ng mga nanay na nagtatrabaho kapag weekdays na dalhin ang kanilang mga anak sa health centers.” (Jojo Mangahis)