The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) distanced itself from one of its own high ranking official’s remarks regarding the government’s Covid-19 surge response.
Usec. Epimaco Densing III admitted on Tuesday during an interview at ANC said the government did not expect that the surge will be more than that of last year and that they do not have a concrete solution for the pandemic other than the vaccines.
“The system was still strong until the second surge in the first week of March but it went more than what was expected since last year,” Densing said.
The DILG was quick to denounce Densing’s statement saying it was his personal opinion and does not in any way reflect the department’s views.
“The Department wishes to clarify [that] the views expressed by Usec. Epimaco Densing III on ANC yesterday about the government’s response to the surge is his own personal opinion and does not reflect the position of the DILG,” DILG Usec. and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said.
Malaya also said that the DILG is devoting its time and efforts in containing the surge as part of the National Task Force Covid-19. He also said that the plan is in place and that the department is focused on its implementation on the ground.
While Malaya denied Densing’s statement, he said that the department stands behind the efficacy and safety of all FDA-approved vaccines and is committed to the success of the national vaccination program saying that it is the ultimate pandemic response. H.B. Oledan