Two Filipinos were killed in the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria earlier this week, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Friday.
The Philippine Embassy in Ankara confirmed the death of two Filipinos in a statement.
“It is with deepest regret that the Embassy must inform the public of the passing of two Filipinos, both earlier reported to be missing in Antakya,” it said in a statement.
“The Embassy and Consulate General express their deepest condolences and are in coordination with the victims’ families in both the Philippines and in Turkiye,” it added.
The DFA said the two fatalities were among the three missing Filipinos it earlier reported missing. The other has been found alive.
More than 21,000 deaths have been reported following the earthquake in Turkey and Syria.
The DFA said 34 Filipinos had been evacuated from Turkey. John Ezekiel J. Hirro