The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday said that its debates for candidates running in the 2022 elections could be delayed.

The debates were originally scheduled to start in February.

But in a “Laging Handa” briefing, Ellaiza Sabile-David of the Comelec’s education and information department said the debates could start in early March.

“Iyong sa first debate natin, kung last week of February po siya dati, baka maging first week of March na muna po siya,” she said.

Sabile-David said the Comelec en banc had yet to approve the debate guidelines.

“So give us more time po sa preparation and iyon nga po, tuluy-tuloy po iyan at iyong planning stages po ongoing ngayon sa mga kausap namin din na mga network at saka iyon pong mga partners po natin to help us out with the production,” she said.

There will be a total of six Comelec-mounted presidential and vice presidential debates. John Ezekiel J. Hirro